Strong immune system in autumn
Autumn is the season when the incidence of acute respiratory diseases (ARIs) increases. This is due to a number of factors, including cooler temperatures, more humid air and a busier daily life. To reduce the risk of disease, it is important to take care of your immune system.
Strong immune system in autumn, nutrition
A healthy diet is key to maintaining a strong immune system. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. These foods are rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that are important for the immune system.
Specific foods and drinks that can help strengthen the immune system in autumn:
- Fruits and vegetables: citrus fruits, strawberries, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, onions
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, flax seeds, chia seeds
- Green leafy vegetables: spinach, arugula, lettuce
- Legumes: lentils, beans, chickpeas
- Whole oats
- Fish: salmon, sardine, tuna
- Probiotics: yogurt, kefir, pickles
Examples of healthy meals:
Oatmeal with fruit and nuts, yogurt with fruit and seeds, eggs with whole grain bread.
Vegetable salad with fish or chicken, whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce and vegetables, tofu with rice and vegetables.
Vegetable soup, baked fish with whole grain rice and vegetables, grilled chicken with whole grain bread and salad
Vitamins and minerals
Certain vitamins and minerals are particularly important for the immune system. They include:
- Vitamin A: helps maintain healthy skin and mucous membranes, which are the first line of defense against infection.
- Vitamin C: is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage.
- Vitamin D: is needed for the production of immune cells.
- Vitamin E: is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage.
- Selenium: is needed for the production of immune cells.
- Zinc: is required for the production and function of immune cells.
Intake of vitamins and minerals
You can get these vitamins and minerals from food or as supplements. If you decide to take nutritional supplements, check with a doctor to make sure you’re taking the right dosages.
Adequate sleep is necessary to maintain a strong immune system. When you don’t get enough sleep, your body can’t recover and protect itself from infections.
Water is essential for the proper functioning of all systems in the body, including the immune system. Drink enough fluids throughout the day to stay hydrated.
Stress can weaken the immune system. Find ways to deal with stress, such as sports, yoga or meditation.
Regular exercise improves overall health and immune function. At least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity is recommended most days of the week.
Vaccines are one of the most effective ways to prevent catching the flu and pneumonia.
Strong immune system in autumn conclusion
By following these tips, you can help strengthen your immune system and reduce your risk of falling ill this fall.